Friday, July 17, 2009

I hate surprises and even more than that, I hate being thrown a curve ball just when you think you are on the upswing. 1 step forward and 3 steps back. I went to the doctor today and apparently the initial path report changed. 1 out of the 4 sentinel lymph nodes came back positive. Which does not necessarily mean a problem. However, the doctor talked to the oncologist and she felt that all the lymph nodes needed to be removed. The doctor did not necessarily agree with her even though they usually agree on almost everything. The problem with removing all the lymph nodes could possibly create another problem known as lymphodema, which is swelling of the arm. With the nodes gone the fluid in the arm cannot drain thru the body properly. The doctor's gut feeling was that if she removed all the lymph nodes, they would come back negative and then she has created a possible unnecessary problem. She was going to call a few of her colleages that work in the research ares of UPenn, MDAnderson and Emery who are up on the latest research of this specific thing. She really could not give me an answer today on the best answer to this. If her friends told her it is not necessary she does not think I need to go thru with it. If they say go ahead, I will have to have surgery once again to remove all the lymph nodes in the right arm. And that means drains again. UGH. I really do not know how to react to this new development. It is just so frustrating to thiink things are going just the way you want and now there is possibly another set back. I reallyl have trust and faith in my doctor and know she will direct me to make the best choice. I have to wait until Monday for her to call me to let me know what to do. On the good side of things I did get my drains removed today and feel a lot better. She actually just yanked them out. Hurt for a minute then I felt the relief. She also removed all the strip tapes from most of the incisions so that feels a lot better too. I am now waiting thru the weekend to see where I am headed next. My prayers so far have been answered for the most part and I need to pray hard that another surgery is not necessary. Please keep the prayers coming that I can move on from here to healing.
Had a great evening. Went to a movie with my brothers and sister-in-law (Harry Potter) and then for a late snack. It was nice to get out and try to focus on something else for a couple of hours. My brother leaves tomorrow morning and my son is headed off camping for the week so I am left to ponder things on my own for a few days. God will pull me thru this.

No comments:

Post a Comment