Sunday, July 12, 2009

3 hours of waiting, 5 hours of surgery and 3 days in the hospital. I am finally home and up and running on my blog. Thanks to Rebecca for updating the last couple of days. I know the information was slow and minimal in the beginning. We didn't really know what was going on until things happened. Ok - so I have to get to the surgery place at 9:30 for a 10:30 surgery time. They don't take me back until after 10. Since they are doing surgery in the upper extremities, I can't have an IV in the arms. So the nurse gave me the news that they had to do it in my foot. Ouch. Then she couldn't get it in right away and the pain of pushing it thru my vein was something I hadn't felt before. Come to find out it was a problem during surgery. They had to remove it and put it in my hand anyway. My ankle got swollen and the surgeon was not very happy. Then she said I had to finish the bag of antibiotics before surgery. Well, needless to say, it was 12:30 before they took me back to OR. Surgery was only supposed to take 2-3- hours. Well, that lasted 5 so I was not in recovery until 5:30 or so. Got into my room around 7. I was quite out of it mostly. My sister-in-law decided to stay the night with me so she could keep an eye on me, watch the nurses do their thing and listen to what was going on. Nick decided not to stay. He had a hard time seeing me after surgery. I think it just surprised him. I had an oxygen tube in my nose and was able to talk to him but I think it frightened him. Ok, day 2, doing fine. I have my morphine button in my hand the whole time. I can push it every 10 minutes. I was basically in and out of it most of the day. 3 of my co-workers came to visit and I had a great time with them. They kept me awake about an hour and we had each other laughing. It was a good repreive. The new associate paster from church stopped by. Later that evening, my friends Gail, Ann, Troy and Allison stopped by. I had flowers delivered from work, my brother's family in Utah, Gail and family and Nick brought me some roses. I also had balloons delivered from the boys of Troop 10. Of course, my brother and sister-in-law and Nick were there. I was sleeping in and out. That night I had a fever of 101.2 and that concerned them a little The surgeon came in Sat and felt I needed to stay one more day. My brother came in at 8p that evening so he came to visit me at the hospital. No one stayed with me Fri or Sat night. I guess there are a few stories I can share about my hospital visit but it might get a little lengthy. And besides, I don't remember a whole lot. I was told that when the surgeon got done she said she could use a beer and apparently I told her I wanted one too. Well, I have to call the doctor tomorrow to set up an appt for Friday. I should be able to get the drains out and be cleared for light stuff. I have to say many thanks to my sister-in-law for all her help, support and care. Of course, my brothers, son and many friends for their prayers and support. Love you guys. On the road to healing and moving on to the next phase. Not sure what's in store for tomorrow but I'm sure you'll hear. Thanks Rebecca for updating the blog and keeping everyone in the loop. Also thanks for the cookies - Nick has already tried them out. Sorry I was asleep when you stopped by. Seems to be something I do alot of lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment