Thursday, September 24, 2009

It was a good Thursday. Well, I did wake up with my arm feeling sore. I knew I had a physical therapy appointment today so I just dealt with it till then. I had a good morning at work, got quite a bit done. Went to radiation, my favorite place - NOT. Was in and out quick. Then went to PT. It was my last appointment with Marilyn. She measured my arm and did not see any signs of swelling so to speak. Told me to use the weight if I wanted but to at least keep up with the arm exercises to keep my range of motion during radiation. Do what I think I can do but not to push it. It is not a no pain, no gain type thing. If there is pain, I should stop. Slowly increase or move as I can. Ok, Long story - I did find out one thing interesting - to my credit. I need to get a sleeve for my arm to wear as needed to help with swelling. Especially when I fly. Originally I was told by the supply place that I would have to pay for it and then submit a request to the insurance for reimbursement. They are a bit expensive so I didn't want to have to pay up front. After checking with the insurance, being told I would need a prescription for anything insurance covers, I got a prescription from the surgeon and called my primary doctor. They checked and found out I got approval thru my previous referral number when I got my bras and prosthetics. I called the supply place and they said they have never done it that way before and she would have to check into how to go about it. Everyone has always had to pay first and she would get back to me. So, I told the PT today that I haven't gotten my sleeve yet but should soon. She said well good news, the supply place just got their first approval for coverage so I should be able to get mine soon. I told her - that would be mine. She said really? That will open doors for others to follow to help them get their sleeves without out of pocket expense. I told her I didn't want to have to pay out money and worry about getting it back so I pushed to see if I could get approval. If it is due to Breast Cancer related lymphedema - they have to pay for it. Good for me - and hopefully the ones behind me will benefit from it. Ended up being a good day. Glad tomorrow is Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment