Monday, September 21, 2009

Double whammy today. I had chemo this morning, actually finished a little early. And my port worked quickly. A little bit of working - only took 2 or 3 tries. I have been finding out lots of things from the chemo room. A week or two ago I fould out that one of the nurses and her husband bought a local fence and deck company. Something that might come in handy when my son needs to do his Eagle project. Today I found out that one of the other nurses, one that I don't see much and is pregnant, with her husband owns the kennel I board my dog at. Might come in handy when I need to board the dog. I met another nice lady there today who was getting her treatment. I have seen her before but we sat next to each other today and were chatting. She has short hair and I really liked the cut. I mentioned it to her and found out it was a wig. I would have bet money that it was her hair. It looked great and I never would have known. I think she was diagnosed 5 years ago and had a re-occurance and the lump is near her arota (inoperable). She is there every 3 weeks and since the treatment she is on is working to some extent, she does not know how long she will have to have treatments. Indefinately. That really sucks. You over hear a lot of stuff that you kind of have to tune out - but hearing that others have had different side effects or didn't like certain drug treatments, I have to feel pretty good because I have not had much in the way of side effects. Ok, on to radiation (well after going to work.) So I get to radiation and have to wait for the room for a couple of minutes. Of course there were two ladies there talking about their husbands' cancer, the sister's cancer, their cousin and whoever else. This one has brain cancer, that one breast cancer, another lung cancer. Not only did it get depressing about hearing about surgery, treatment, possible outcome, but also side effects of radiation (especially the buring of the skin - of course about the one with breast cancer). Amazing I was only there maybe 10 minutes and heard plenty. Just as I thought of moving to another area, I was called. I told the 2 nurses how depressing it is to sit out there and over hear all kinds of crap about other people. Something you don't really care to listen to when you are dealing with it yourself. Both of them told me it was no problem to go somewhere else in the hall if I chose. I did bring my iPod, which I should have plugged in my ears and turned up as loud as I could stand. I have to set my mind on myself and focus on me alone and not all the other stuff I hear. The radiation, as I think I said yesterday, is going to be the hardest part - havaing to go everyday and having it in your mind what you are doing. I just have to keep in my mind what I am fighting for. I have so many blessings to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment