Monday, May 11, 2009

Those that have seen me recently may have noticed that I am wearing 4 pink bands on my right wrist. As of today, I now have 3 on my right wrist and 1 on my left. The bands represent how many treatments I have to endure and as of today at 5pm I was able to move my first band.
It was quite interesting to say the least. I had surgery last week to have a port put in to make the whole "finding a vein" thing easier and not have any problems with drawing blood or the treatments. Well, it took a while to actually get it started and then I had to stand up several times for things to work. Seems that since surgery was only 5 days ago, some of the inflammation makes it a little harder the first time. With the standing up, and 3 blankets placed behind my back to help me sit up - we were working. Between the nurse and my sister in law keeping me occupied, I didn't have much time to worry about things or get emotional. Met a very nice lady, whose son goes to school with my son. She is on her 3rd treatment. It was a joy to be able to talk with her and hear how she has been handling the same ordeal. She has already had her surgery so she is a little farther along but doing great.
They gave me some strong drugs to help with any after effects, so we hope those will work and I will be doing great.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Valerie, just checking the site and checking on you. Glad today seem to go well so far!! Rebecca

    ReplyDelete