Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I am such a slacker. Ok so here's the latest. I finally got my tester last Tuesday and started testing my blood sugar on Wednesday. It took a few days to get used to but I have managed to keep up with it so far. The morning fasting levels seem a bit high but the rest of the day seems to be ok. I have done pretty good with food choices so far (at least I think I have). I went to a class tonight that that was 3 hours long. I have to take 3 classes to learn about the disease, nutrition and how to keep my blood sugar in check to prevent future problems that can be caused by diabeties. It was long but quite informative tonight. Actually it was quite scary. To hear what can happen if you don't keep your sugar level in check. I guess I will be doing as much as I can to control it. I came home and my son had done the dishes and even made dinner. What a great kid. Then we took a long walk with the dogs. The biggest things that will help is exercise so I should try to walk some everyday. Ok, so while we were walking tonight something pretty funny came up. I am not a runner but sometimes I jog just a little with the dog. Well Suger and I were trying to keep up with Nick and Harley and I realized (for the first time since surgery) that my boobs didn't hurt when I ran. I would usually have to hold them to stop from bouncing so much. Well, not outside where people can see. It was quite a funny thought. Humor goes a long way and sometimes you just have to see the funny in things. Thanks to the church ladies for bringing me food this evening. They heard of my shoulder issue and thought it would help for me to have food. How very thoughtful. You should always take the opportunity to pay it forward. One thing I haven't mentioned is: a girl I work with was diagnosed with breast cancer a few weeks ago (maybe 2 months ago). She had never had a mammogram and finally went. They found a small spot that needed to be biopsied. Come to find out, it was bigger than they thought. I had referred her to my surgeon and come to find out she needed to have a mastectomy. However, it was caught early enough and it was a type that did not require further treatment. She was able to have immediate reconstruction. So many people were very generous with me by bringing me and Nick food that I felt I needed to do the same for her. I coordinated meals from those at work to keep her and her family supplied with dinner the last 9 days. I know it seems like a simple gesture but it makes the world of difference on the receiving end. I'll keep you posted on my food and testing progress.

1 comment:

  1. Val ~ You are so right about the wonderful gesture of a meal. When my youngest child was hospitalized for an extended period, I think the nicest thing anyone did was bring us a casserole dish with homemade spaghetti, along with all the eating utensils, plates and bread. We were so grateful after all the hospital cafeteria food :)

    Peace & grace,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete