Saturday, February 27, 2010

I guess I am overdue for an update. Lots going on and have not been insistant on updating. So, let's see, I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago and reported that I am not classified as a diabetic. Yay me. As of today I am still waiting on my testing supplies to show up. They are ordered thru a medical supply company and gets shipped. The good thing is my insurance covers it so I won't have to pay for strips or lancets, which I understand can be quite expensive. So last Monday I go to the diabetic center my doctor sent me to for one-on-one appointment on what I need to be doing, how to use the blood glucose meter and sign up for a class. So we talked about what I should be eating and how to keep my sugar in check. It's not really as bad as I thought, I just have to be selective. I can have bread if I want but I am limited on the grams of carbs I can have at each meal and snack. So, if I eat the bread, I can't have other starch. I should have some carbs at each meal. Even though I don't have my meter yet, I have tried to start eating the way I should and starting to walk some so I can make the transition. So I have 3 classes I have to go to that are 3 hours long. For real?? They do serve dinner so at least I'll get a free meal. Ok, so one thing that I haven't had checked yet - my eyes. Something some people might not know is I do use eye drops for a type of glaucoma known as pigmentary glaucoma. I don't have any effects from it yet so right now I am just doing preventative treatment. So my eyes are normally checked every 6 months. Since all this started last March I have not had my eyes checked. I thought the chemo and meds my have had an effect on my eyes (as it had everything else) and I also was not using my drops for awhile just out of inconvenience. I had a check up on Friday and things look great and my eye pressure was down 4 point from the last time. Pretty good I would say. And on top of that, my prescription had not changed. Yay, something that improved. I imagine I will get my meter on Monday, hopefully, not that I am anxious to prick myself 4 times a day, I just want to get this started. Oh yeah, I also went to my hairdresser for the first time since she shaved my head in May. Believe it or not my hair has grown in very even and has gotten a bit long. She trimmed the top and back to match the length of the front and then cut some on the side and gave me a few whisps by my ears. It now has some kind of style to it. Well, that's the update for now. I'll post more once I get going on my blood testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment