Sunday, October 3, 2010

Well I guess it's about time for an update. Things have been a little crazy and hectic. Ok, so on 9/19 my brother and I drove to Gainesville to stay the night so I could get up bright and early to go to the hospital at 6a.m. I had a date with the plastic surgeon to get some new boobies. Things went according to plan and the were on time with just about everything they said. The doctor came in and marked up my skin with what his plan was. Oh, and by the way, he is a big time Gator fan. I really didn't hold that against him as I have heard alot about his success and credentials as a surgeon. And he is a very nice guy. I did tell him before taking me back that I did not want to wake up with any Gator attributes. He said he could make my boobs into Gator heads that would chomp now and then. It was actually quite funny. Ok, so surgery was to start at 8a and last till it was done. All I remember is being wheeled down the hall. He finished at 6:15 p. Yes, 10 hours. But he said everything went great and he was able to do what he expected. Then in recovery for a couple of hours. I don't think I got out of there until close to 10p and up to PCU, Progressive care unit. Similar to ICU but not as serious. I think it was about 11:30 by the time I was finally settled. The first 24 hours the nurse has to come in and use a doppler to listen to each boob to hear the blood vessels working. It sounds almost like a baby's hearbeat when you're pregnant. Not a whole lot of sleep. They also have to check your vitals, tempature, etc. Well the first 24 hours I did get a fever that eventually got up to 102 which is not uncommon. I had gotten one after my mastectomy surgery as well. So the next day, Tues, I have to get out of bed and sit in a chair 3 times. OMG - really? The bed converts to a chair so it does make it a bit easier to get up but that first time was horrible. By the third time it was a little better. And that night they came in every 2 hours so I got a little more sleep. Can't sleep very well on your back not being able to move. Day 3, had to be able to walk a little in the hall and to the bathroom. I could only walk out the door and 1/2 what they wanted me to. By the 3rd time though I was able to go the distance. And one of the nurses washed my hair with this cool shower cap thing. It goes in the microwave to warm up and it is soapless but cleans your hair and smells good. That was a nice change. Thursday, day 4, up again and walking and sitting. Getting a little better but still very hard to do. Nurses only bothered me about every 4 hours this time. I had to take a shower this day which was nice. The nurse on duty said it gets a little kinky because she has to help me. No problem with me as I can move. Things went well and I felt great afterwards. Food was not too bad but not feeling like eating very much. Still getting poked and picked with shots and blood drawn. I am so over this by now. Good night sleep and plans to go home Friday. Doctor checked on me each morning and said everything looked great. I had this stomach pain pump thing that automatically released meds in my belly (which is where they took the stuffing for my boobies and some skin). As the nurse removed it is, since it was close to my pelvic area, I could feel her pulling some hair. Ok, wasn't expecting that. My brother thought it was cool that I could get a brazillian, tummy tuck and a boob job all in the same surgery. Yeah - funny. Ok, so Friday I am off and running, ready to go home. 2 hour ride but felt ok. Most of the week was uneventful. Can't really sleep and get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Take naps. Stopped taking pain meds Sunday night. I'm a little sore but not really in pain. Went back to doctor on Wednesday and he was excited to see his "masterpiece" as he put it. Said thinks looked great. He took out 3 of the 4 tubes and said to come back this Thursday to get the stitches out of my stomach. Are you freaking kidding me? They are from hip to hip. He said it was one long stitch. I asked if he cuts one end and pulls - he said no, they will cut it in a few spots. I really hate getting stitches out. I plan to attempt to go to work tomorrow to see how I do. I won't push it but I might try to put in a few hours. All in all, so far I am doing well. My sister-in-law is back on drain nazi duty and doing a great job. The fluid hasn't stopped enough yet to take out the last tube, but I hope if nothing else it will come out on Thursday at my appt.
Thanks for the continued prayers and support as I continue my road to recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment